Fortunately gap insurance policies have very few exclusions and are very simple policies, however we are asked many times what is not covered and have produced a list of the main points:
- Any claim where the Total Loss is caused by an accident when the driver of Your Vehicle is under the influence of alcohol or drugs not prescribed by a registered medical practitioner or drugs prescribed by a registered medical practitioner in respect of which a warning against driving is given.
- Any person driving who is not covered as a named driver on your comprehensive insurance.
- Any claim where the Total Loss occurs outside the Geographical Area or arises as a consequence of war, terrorism, civil commotion or riot.
- Any claim which is the subject of fraud or dishonesty or you have used the vehicle in a criminal activity.
- Theft committed by any person who has authorised access to the keys of your Vehicle.
- Any vehicle which has a Purchase Price in excess of £100,000 (£75,000 for Vehicle Replacement policies) unless it has a Thatcham approved tracking device, it has been modified other than in accordance with the manufacturer's specification; is used as a taxi or minicab, used for any other type of hire or reward, including peer to peer vehicle rental & short term rental schemes, emergency vehicles, or heavy goods vehicles over 3,500 GVW, mini-buses, quad bike and trikes. Your Vehicle if it is used for road-racing, rallying, pace-making, speed testing, or any other competitive event.
- Any vehicle over 10 years old or more than 100,000 miles at the time of policy purchase.
- Any vehicle not shown in Glass's Guide.
- Your vehicle if it is driven by any person not holding a valid and current, full licence (UK or EU) to drive your Vehicle except in the event of theft.
- Any person driving who is under 18 years old and/or does not hold a valid and current, full driving licence (UK or EU).
While this list is representative of our Gap Insurance policies, each policy has different variations. Please see the individual policy wording for full exclusions and terms & conditions.