Having to make a car insurance claim is a prospect that nobody relishes. If something happens to your vehicle – for example, if it’s stolen or written off in an accident – the last thing you need is to go through a lengthy, complicated claims process.
Dealing with theft or a write-off is stressful enough, so you want to know you can rely on your insurance provider to make your life as simple as possible. That’s exactly what we do here at Direct Gap.
Taking out a Gap Insurance policy offers you priceless peace of mind. It means you’ll be covered for the difference between your motor insurer’s settlement and what you paid for the car in the first place, which could add up to thousands of pounds.
We hope you never have to make a claim, but if you do it’s reassuring to know that you’re in safe hands with an expert team who will do all they can to ensure your claim runs smoothly. We also believe it’s important for you to know exactly how the process works, which is why we’ve put together this handy guide.
How does the claims process work?
If you believe your vehicle may be declared a total loss by your motor insurer, there are a few simple steps for you to follow to make a claim on your Gap Insurance:
- Call us on 01422 756 100. Our lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm. It's important that you call us before any settlement from your motor insurer is accepted, or in any case within 120 days of the incident occuring.
- One of our claims handlers will take your call. All claims are dealt with in-house, so you can rest assured you’ll never be passed around a call centre. Our team will listen to your story and email over the claims form for you to fill out.
- Once you’ve filled out the form, return it to us along with any required documents and we’ll check it to make sure everything is in order.
- If everything is approved, you’ll receive your payout via bank transfer. We have a commitment to settle your claim within 10 days on receipt of all required documentation, but typically you can expect to receive your money in 48 hours.
When can I claim on my Gap Insurance?
You can only claim on your Gap Insurance once your car has been declared a total loss by your motor insurer. Typically this will be as a result of a road traffic incident (fault or non-fault), fire, theft or vandalism. For a simple accident, this process could take as little as 24 hours but in cases of theft it can take much longer as some insurers will wait to see if your vehicle is recovered.
Total loss means that:
- You have made a claim under your standard motor cover and that claim has been agreed
- Your vehicle has been forfeited i.e. the title has been transferred to your insurer
- You have received a settlement from your insurer
You should still contact us prior to your vehicle being declared a total loss, this way we can negotiate a settlement with your motor insurer on your behalf.
How much will my Gap Insurance pay out?
The answer to this question will depend on your circumstances and the policy purchased. Return to Invoice Gap Insurance covers the difference between the amount you originally paid for your car and the settlement you receive from your motor insurer, which will be in line with its current market value.
Let’s say that you paid £20,000 for your car when it was new, but after a couple of years its value had depreciated to £14,000. If it were then stolen or written off in an accident, your insurers would pay out in line with its worth at that time, leaving you £6,000 out of pocket. Gap Insurance covers that difference, so in this example you would receive £6,000.
Can I still claim on my Gap Insurance if I’m at fault?
Yes, you are still covered by your Gap Insurance even if you are to blame for the accident that causes your car to be written off. This will not affect the settlement amount you receive.
Why might my Gap Insurance not pay out?
As with any policy, there are some circumstances that you would not be able to claim for. These include the vehicle being declared a total loss as a result of:
- The driver being under the influence of alcohol or non-prescription drugs
- Being used for illegal activity
- An act of wilful negligence, such as leaving the vehicle unattended with the keys in the ignition
Please see your policy wording for a full list of the exclusions.
How long does the claims process take?
We are committed to settling all Gap Insurance claims within 10 days of receiving all required documentation. Often, we are able to send your settlement amount via bank transfer within 48 hours. We hope that you never need to make a claim, but if you do then relax safe in the knowledge that our in-house team will make your life as simple as possible.
To start your claim, just call 01422 756100 and we’ll be waiting on the other end of the phone.